Search This Blog

Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Grand Canyon is Just a Big Hole


Why I Reject the Trinity Part: 14

[I believe that knowing God is the One who came and died for us is significant for several reasons, one of which is that it shows us the extent of His love – that HE was willing to keep both ends of the covenant for us since we couldn’t keep our end. In the Old Covenant it was always, “if you” “if you” “if you”, but in the New Covenant it is “I will” “I will” “I will”. On several occasions in the OT, we see God saying that He looked, but no one could be found to accomplish His purposes, so He declares that He would do it Himself.]
An anonymous friend

I understand why some feel this way. The major difference between my view and this is that the new covenant did not completely hinge on God it hinged on Jesus and his obedience. God now has a covenant with Jesus if we want to get in on this covenant we have to be inside of Jesus. In a sense this gets back to my point of Jesus being tempted. I believe Jesus could have failed just like Adam did. That fact that he could have failed makes his accomplishment more significant. My understanding of Jesus glorifies him more, technically.

This is the same reason I prefer the city to nature. Carla and I have discussions about this all the time. She goes to the Grand Canyon and is amazed and in awe of God and what he made. However, when I see it, though it is magnificent, it is not really that impressive. It is not as if God really had to struggle to make it. He just had to speak and it was. (and technically erosion made it, so...) If a being has no limitations then how is it impressive for them to “accomplish” something? That is like me writing my name on a piece of paper and expecting you to be impressed. My actions would only be impressive if I do something beyond my perceived capability.

If Jesus is God doing what God does and effortlessly redeeming us with his perfect God nature what is the accomplishment? Even if I’m dead wrong I am still extremely grateful for what the Trinitarian Godhead did for us. However, believing that Jesus had to live in a fallen world as a man and not sin is amazing. He cleaved to the Father for every step and word and proved that with the right nature it can be done. What an amazing accomplishment. He is worthy, worthy, worthy because he overcame. God deserves praise by default, because of who He is. Jesus deserves it because of what he did. He endured and earned it; that is far more impressive than just being.

PART 15

No comments:

Post a Comment