Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I am the First and the Last


Same Names of God and Jesus:

Revelation 1:17
“When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.”

Revelation 2:8
 "To the angel of the church in Smyrna write:  These are the words of him who is the First and the Last, who died and came to life again.”

Isaiah 44:6
“Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I [am] the first, and I [am] the last; and beside me [there is] no God.”

I understand the logic comparing the names of the Father to Jesus. Some argue that the Father is called the First and Last as well as Jesus therefore they are the same.  However, do we also believe that God died?  If you believe that the “First and Last” is strictly a title for the Father or the Triune God, then you would have to say that God “the First and Last” died at some point.  You must believe that one member of the Triune God can die.  Jesus didn’t say I am the First and Last who died (only as a man) and came to life (again as a man)…
If the Trinitarian Son can die, then why not the Father?  Before you say that only Jesus’ flesh or humanity died I would have to argue that point.  Study the Day of Atonement (Lev. 16) and learn how the 3 animal symbols of Jesus died, each atoning for the spirit, soul, and body of humanity. The goat sin offering, the burnt offering, and the goat that was lead out of camp was shoved down a steep cliff; being sent back to `Azazel (refer also to the Book of Enoch).  As it was shoved down the cliff its body was shattered.   However, that is another teaching.

I have heard lots of verses that call God something in the Old Testament then later call Jesus the same thing.  I just don’t think that is a strong argument.  Especially when talking about the word “lord.”  I have no conflict with the close relationship of the Father and Son.  Their ministries are entwined.  They shared the same body during Jesus’ earthly ministry.  I just don’t believe that giving them the same and similar titles is as dramatic of a statement that some argue. 

We seem to forget that some of these titles were given to Jesus.  He had to acquire them.  Jesus previously did not have and then later received the name that is above all names.  This doctrine also is not accounting for the dispensations.  Prior to Jesus the Father was the King of Kings, and later Jesus became the King of Kings.  These titles are in relation to how the son and Father relate to the earth.  Jesus is not the King over the Father and I have already shown that the son is subject to the Father not equal. 

Now back to Isaiah 44:6.  There is another issue to talk about with this verse.  Some people believe that “his redeemer” is talking about Jesus. They read this verse as “..the Lord the King of Israel, and the Lord’s redeemer (Jesus).”  However, this verse in context is talking about Jacob, who is also called Israel and Yahweh who is the redeemer of Israel/Jacob:
Isaiah 43:1-28

“But now, thus says YAHWEH, your Creator, O Jacob, And He who formed you, O Israel, "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!... says the Lord, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel.... I am YAHWEH, your Holy One, the Creator of Israel, your King.... Yet you have not called on Me, O Jacob; but you have become weary of Me, O Israel.... I will consign Jacob to the ban and Israel to revilement.

If you understand the verse in context Isaiah 44:6
reads:

“Thus saith the LORD (the King of Israel, and Jacob’s redeemer, the LORD of hosts); I [am] the first, and I [am] the last; and apart from me [there is] no 'elohiym.” 

Just wanted to clear that up.

This is the end of everything I have to say about the Trinity.  If you have read the blog series and still have questions feel free to ask.  Notice the disclaimer "if you have read the blog series."  If there is something I did not cover that is relevant this is the time to address it.
If you just want to argue please see the "about me" section of the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment