Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Omnipresence & Revelation 4:11

Revelation 4:11

This verse is often used to show that Jesus was in fact the creator God of the universe. However, if you read all of chapters 4 and 5 you will see that, "You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being,” is directed to the person sitting on the throne; who is not Jesus. Next to the one on the throne is a book that none can open. Then…

Rev. 5:6-7
“And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb (I hope we can agree the lamb is Jesus) as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth. And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne.”

Omnipresent:

I won’t spend much time here. However, to say (as some would) that Jesus or the Father is, or is perceived as, omnipresent makes them each by default God is a ridiculous statement. We have no complete idea how the spirit realm interacts with our physical realm in a mechanical sense.

I could just as easily say that I or my spirit is currently seated in a heavenly place and yet is here on earth in my body. If the body without the spirit is dead, and I am not dead, then my body must contain a spirit that is both present with me and seated in heaven at the same time. Does that make me omnipresent or do you simply not understand specifically how the spiritual realm relates to the physical? All this to say, I reject a doctrine of omnipresence that includes transcending time, nor would it be an exclusive characteristic of deity if it were true.

No comments:

Post a Comment