Search This Blog

Thursday, April 5, 2012

John 5:18, 1 John 3:2, Titus 2:11-14

Trinity verses

This section is based on various conversations and letters I have engaged in. I’m hoping to bring clarity to verses that some find problematic.

John 5:18
Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.”
If I say that God is my Father does that make me equal with God? Yes, in Elohim nature but that does not mean I am Jehovah.

1 John 3:2
Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.”
Do we believe that we are part of the Trinity or are we willing to accept an alternative meaning to son-ship and equality with God? I doubt that most would argue against the fact that we can be sons and daughters of God. Nor would these children say that God is not their Father. However, if calling God your Father requires one to be “God” then maybe we can agree on the Elohim understanding of equality.

Titus 2:11-14:
The best translation is the KJV in this instance:

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ;”

No comments:

Post a Comment