Search This Blog

Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Gospel of Power?



Except out of obligation and the fear of Hell I could think of no reason a person would want to become a “Christian.” Every human is born with a sense of needing to reconcile with God. We are born with this internal knowledge that we must be better because he is not pleased. Every religion in the world is designed to help men reconcile themselves with God. Even my Atheist friends can’t avoid the human trap. They have simply created a theology that helps them deal with this internal problem by trying to remove the source. What?..I said it.

Paul says it this way.

Romans 1:16-20:
“For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed ... For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed [it] unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:”
We know this internally so we create religion to reconcile ourselves to God.

The gospel most people proclaim is a way for men to get out of Hell and into a congregation where they can struggle the rest of their lives. Wow, if that was God’s plan for us I would probably wait until my deathbed, and take my chances on not getting in a car wreck. What a worthless and impotent message.



Paul said the Gospel is the POWER for salvation – sōtēria - deliverance, preservation, safety, salvation the deliverance from the molestation of enemies. That is not the gospel I knew. The gospel I learned taught me how to medicate and manage the symptoms as the enemy molested me. Just wait for the sweet by-and-by where there will be no more tears.


That is not Power. That is not Good News.



No comments:

Post a Comment