Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Beings Sin and Death

The Reconciliation: Part 4



I view Sin and Death as two beings. Though I understand that a sin can be viewed as an action, it is actually the fruit that a being has planted in your heart. Even though death is considered a state of being or an event in your life, I believe it should also be viewed as a being that destroys life.

The Hebrew word for sin (chatta'ath) is a noun (not a verb) and is used 296 times in the Old Testament.

Gen 4:7
“If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee [shall be] his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.”

Or in the New Testament:

John 8:34
“Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.”

I don’t believe the being called sin is more clearly illustrated than in Paul’s description.


Romans 7
“For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew [me]… But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful… Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me… O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?”

The painting above is William Hogarth's version of Sin & Death. Though his depiction is not uncommon throughout art, theology, and history.

PART 5

No comments:

Post a Comment